There are currently more than 500,000 apps available on the Apple App Store (Apple, 2011). I was recently researching a presentation and I came up with some interesting stats that I found interesting:
- 1 in 3 adults in the UK now own a smart phone.
- There are 75,750,000 active mobile phones in the UK today and 92% of adults in the UK are active mobile phone users.
- Over 1 billion apps were downloaded in Christmas week 2011.
- On christmas day 2011 4.5 million new smart phones were activated in the UK
- 15% of adults now live in a home that has a mobile phone but no landline
- 50% of UK adults now use social networking websites at home.
These statistics give an indication of how technology really is invading our world and how it is changing our everyday lives. The question I ask myself is if technology always changes life for the better? Is it healthy to spend so much time using technology?
These are questions that don’t have a simple answer if indeed they have any answer at all. What do you think?